Thursday, May 5, 2011

::Next::

As many of you know, I've been accepted to Mars Hill Graduate School in Seattle, Washington. I first heard of MHGS back in 2008, when I came back to the States after my first trip to Australia. When I returned home after my second trip to Australia, I visited the school with my sister and loved it, but really felt that God was calling me back to Australia to lead the Discipleship Training School - a decision I'm glad I made. When I came home this past June, I was completely unclear as to what I would be doing next. In a very fast-paced series of events, I found out that a representative from Mars Hill was visiting the Wheaton College campus and, although I hadn't been considering graduate school at that time, I decided to go meet with her and see what came of it.

After meeting with the representative, I didn't even think twice about applying. My life was suddenly totally focused on filling out applications, writing essays and studying for the MAT standardized test. Weeks later, I was on a plane to Seattle to interview with members of the Mars Hill faculty and staff. And, in the early evening of December 1, I received a phone call inviting me to attend Mars Hill Graduate School beginning in the Fall of 2011. I was completely floored. I did well in my undergraduate studies, but not fantastic. I'm a terrible test-taker, but earned a great score on the MAT. I was a total basket case at the interview, but, apparently, impressed someone. All of this to say, I know that it is God that not only placed and kept Mars Hill on my heart, but that opened the door for me to be accepted to study in this incredible community.

Mars Hill, which has recently changed its' name to The Seattle School of Theology & Psychology, has 3 Master's programs: Counseling Psychology, MDiv and Christian Studies. I will be in the 2-year Christian Studies Program, which is the broadest program of the 3. This program allows me a lot of room to tailor it to match my own interests and passions. I am excited to focus a lot on Biblical studies, leadership, discipleship and writing. I believe that this experience is going to prepare me for what God has next for me through deepening my education and presenting me with opportunities to grow in a close-knit, God-fearing community with people from all different walks of life. I'm really excited about what's in store for me these next 2 years...

And completely terrified. I've actually never been so scared of a new adventure as I am for this one. Going to college, going to Australia, traveling overseas...none of that compares to this. That may be because in all of my other ventures, I felt like the plans were more secure and laid out for me. Now, I am moving to Seattle and, once I get there, I have no idea what happens. Where do I live? Where do I work? How do I pay for this? And, seriously, can I hold my own in graduate level studies?

Not only did I want to update you on my plans for the future, but I would really like to ask for some major amounts of prayer. I feel very anxious about the future and am asking God for peace, excitement, and for the logistics to be worked out. It's very hard finding a place to live from here. I would, ideally, like to find a roommate that also attends this school but can only rely on Facebook, at this point, for meeting people.


Please, if you think of it, pray for:
-My housing situation (finding an apartment and a roommate)

-Finances (I am currently still paying off an incredible dollar amount in medical bills and feel slightly unprepared to jump into the debt of graduate school, as well as the money it will take to start up a new life in Seattle. The money I am currently making is minimal and has been just enough to keep my head above water here, leaving me unable to save much for my move. Please pray for the ability to trust God wholeheartedly with my finances.)

-Relationships (For great friendships to be made in this new city and for the ability to keep up with my relationships here that will become long-distance.)

-Peace & Guidance (Pray for God to really show me His timing. With all of this anxiety and my lack of finances, I sometimes wonder if this is not the right timing for me to attend graduate school and if I should be deferring my acceptance for a year. If you hear anything from the Lord on this, please let me know!!!)


I am currently entering a very busy season, filled with teaching, weddings, and trips. I will be teaching at both the Senior High and Junior High youth group meetings in May. At the end of June, I will be traveling with the Parkview Community Church youth group for a week-long missions trip to Washington, D.C. (which I am currently raising support for, so if you're interested in prayerfully or financially supporting this, please let me know!). Once I return home from D.C., I leave a week later for Wisconsin, where I am the speaker for a Junior High girls' camp at Fort Wilderness Camp in northern Wisconsin. I will be speaking here twice every day for a week, requiring me to prepare 11 sessions. One week after the camp is over, I will be driving to Seattle to stand in a friends' wedding. After the wedding, I'll have about 3 weeks in Seattle before classes start.
Whew!

I am so grateful for your prayers in the midst of the craziness that the next several months will bring. If I can be praying for you in any way, please let me know!!!

Many blessings,

Mallory


No comments: